Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sushi and Sweethearts


As I wiped the night time from my eyes and untangled myself from the pool of sheets wrapped around my body, I rolled over to the sweetest smile I have ever seen. My little blue-eyed Valentine (and my big blue-eyed Valentine) had crawled into bed with me this morning. My sweet girl was grinning from ear to ear, so proud of what she and her daddy had created for me. She was waving a sheet of white paper that had been folded into the shape of a greeting card. There is no better way to wake up than right beside the sweetest two people on the planet. Valentine's day has never been a holiday that I have made a big deal out of, but have used it more as an excuse to go out on a date with Chris and buy him gifts. I also enjoy the occasional pink and red decorations and the endless possibilities when it comes to cookie decorating and red velvet cupcakes. Besides the desserts, dates, and decorations, it has never been an incredibly meaningful holiday to me. This year I did spend a few minutes reminiscing about the first Valentine's day Chris and I spent together. These thoughts then turned into a conversation between us about all of the Valentine's Days we have spent together complete with dinners out, a limo ride, a sneezy bouquet of lilies, sweet gifts, and last year's quiet night at home recovering from a C-section and enjoying decadent chocolate truffles made by my sweet husband.


This year, Valentine's weekend has been spent with both of my Valentines. We enjoyed sushi last night, and Chris made dinner at home tonight. More than the "Hallmarkness" of the holiday, this year, it has just been more of reason to cling to each other and revel in the beauty of family. This year, every minute I have spent with my two Valentines has been a lesson in giving and receiving unconditional love.


My handmade card this morning said it all, and made me truly appreciate this season of love:


We want you to know that we love you and appreciate all you do in our lives. You go out of your way every day to ensure that we have the special love we need to get through our day. We love to hear your voice and look forward to your beautiful face. Thank you for being such a strong mother and incredible wife. You make our lives easier and more enjoyable. We feel so blessed to have such a special person like you.










No comments:

Post a Comment